Introducing the Flex-Press Print! After looking at some drill press designs, including my crappy Press and a couple from Stritch's metals shop, I decided I could design my own press to be 3D printed.
**Update: Per suggestion by Google User Mike M, I am including a link to the drill press stand that inspired this design - in case you are interested in buying one, rather than building your own - but also to give credit to the original design. Check it out, here.
I had an extra flex shaft tool, so I designed it around that. A similar one could be purchased here.
The design also features LM10UU 10mm linear bearings to ride up and down a 10mm diameter shaft.
My studio mate, DeLandTree, inspired me to include a time lapse of my initial drawing for this design. Check out his latest time lapse cad session here.
I decided to design this to print on my Mendel Max printer because: a.) it would be fast, b.) it would be a design worth sharing, c.) it could easily be designed to be printed with zero support material.
I published this design on Thingiverse, here. Above is all of the parts fit onto one 190x170mm build plate, tho I actually printed each of the parts individually.
The first print: the z-axis clamp. This includes a small 1/8"x10 ruler for depth specific drilling, as well as a nut-trap for a bolt to act as a clamp on the 10mm shaft.
For the base of the press, I decided to try a little experiment. Though the base of the press needed to be sturdy and heavy, I designed it to be hollow.
And laser cut a "lid" to screw on top of it.
Then, I used hot glue seal the seams.
Next, I began to fill with concrete.
I sprinkled in some extra bolts to add some weight.
The base, filled with concrete. I attempted to add some flange nuts so I could anchor this to a table in the future; all but one sank below the concrete (sigh.)
The completed base.
Tho I didn't include images here, the other two parts came out near perfect on the first try. Also - I tweaked all of the designs to compensate for little bugs before uploading to Thingiverse.
For levers, I cut, bent, and filed some .125x.5x" aluminum strapping.
Drilled and tapped.
Plasti-dipped the handle lever to maximize drilling comfort.
The completed press!