Saturday, April 5, 2014

Capacitive Touch Lamp


Back in December 2013 I created a capacitive touch LED lamp to bring as a gift for a White Elephant holiday party.  Since the event, I've gotten a few requests to build more of these to sell.



While I typically don't mass produce objects, I am in need to raise money to help fund a trip to China this summer, where I'll be speaking at an international 3D Printing Conference.  My plan is to build and sell a limited run of lamps to help pay for my travel expenses.


The original lamp was wired by hand on a solder bread board, and used a voltage regulator salvaged from a car phone charger.  While it worked great for a one-off unit, it would become quite tedious to build more than a few lamp circuits using this method.



For the limited run, I have re-designed this circuit to be produced as a home-etched printed circuit board.  The toner resist transfer image (pictured above) was designed in Fritzing PCB Editor.



I etched, populated and soldered the first board to check and test the circuit.  It works perfectly!  The next step will be re-designing the lamp enclosure.  These will go up for sale in May - so keep your eyes peeled for more updates!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone Sometimes with visits your blog regularly and recommended it in my experience to read as well. The way of writing is excellent and also the content is top-notch. Thanks for that insight you provide the readers! Best Touch Lamps in 2018

    ReplyDelete